Organizations want and need experts in social media: In 2016, Forrester Research asked 5,000 businesses and technology decision-makers what action they would most like to take to increase influence and brand reach. 35% of the respondents said their companies would initiate and extend social media activities.
After completing the Online Certificate in Social Media Entrepreneurship and Innovation, you will be well prepared to:
- Explain how social media impact various areas of professional and social life;
- Examine social media ownership, financing and regulation and consider their ethics;
- Construct and manage successful PR and grassroots social media campaigns;
- Identify and develop practical strategies tailored to your audience in a manner that maximizes the reach and impact of a specific campaign;
- Learn the latest laws and regulations that impact social media.
The Certificate is offered for academic credit in the Department of Communication Studies, California State University, San Bernardino, through the College of Extended Learning.
Who Should Apply
Individuals wanting to receive formal training or to expand their knowledge with their organization:
- Social media management
- Audience analysis
- Political economy, and law & policy
The courses will focus on:
- Digital Media and Communication
- Communication Law and Policy (with emphasis on digital media)
- Fundamentals of Social Media Management
- Political Economy of Social Media Communication
- Audience Analysis in Social Media
- Social Media for Social Good
The Online Certificate in Social Media Entrepreneurship and Innovation can be applied in a variety of national and international organizations, including corporate, nonprofit and government entities. This certificate provides skills that will be useful in positions such as social media manager, specialist, coordinator, or planner; digital marketing specialist; and digital project manager in disciplines such as as public relations, marketing, journalism, advertising.
- The entire program is offered online.
Certificate Completion Requirement
The Social Media Entrepreneurship and Innovation program is structured around six rigorous courses, each five weeks in duration. To earn the SMEI Certificate a student must complete all courses with an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
Applicants without a B.A. or, equivalently, five years of professional experience will need to set up an interview with one of the Certificate’s coordinators.
- Dr. Thomas Corrigan
- Dr. Liliana Gallegos
- Dr. Ahlam Muhtaseb
- Dr. Mihaela Popescu
- Dr. Alexandru Roman
- Dr. Mihaela Popescu
- Dr. Alexandru Roman
- Dr. Bradford Owen
- COMM 309: Digital Media and Communication (4 units)
- Theory, research, and history related to the impact of digital technologies on communication and society. Students will acquire knowledge and think critically about digital media communication processes and cultures in a variety of contexts.
- COMM 502: Communication Law and Policy (with emphasis on digital media) (4 units)
- Exploration and application of laws and regulations as they affect communication via social media. Includes consideration of freedom of speech, libel and slander, intellectual property, broadcast regulations and privacy.
- COMM 507: Fundamentals of Social Media Management (4 units)
- This course explores how organizations use social media to shape conversations about their products, services, actions and positions. We will examine issues of social media planning, campaign management and strategic communication on social media.
- COMM 508: Political Economy of Social Media Communication (4 units)
- This course explores how ownership, market strategy and financing considerations on social media platforms intersect with policy and legal issues.
- COMM 509: Audience Analysis in Social Media (4 units)
- An overview of current tools for quantitative and qualitative audience analysis in social media. Explores how the strategic priorities of organizations and their social media strategies relate to campaign performance.
- COMM 510: Social media for Social Good (4 units)
- Students learn theories, methods and strategies for using social media to grow personal capabilities and civic involvement and to enact change for the social good. Explores issues of ethics and social justice in social media communication.
- Each course in the program is $1,040, which includes all materials. Fees are due at the time of registration.
- Does your employer offer an education assistance or tuition reimbursement program? Contact us prior to registration at email@example.com.
- If you are a CSUSB faculty, staff, student or alumni, contact us about a discount!
- Multi enrollment discount available, must enroll in two or more courses at a time.
- College of Extended Learning (CEL) Certificate Programs and Courses are eligible for private loans. Please visit the Financing page for guidelines on how to apply for a private student loan/alternative loan.